Friday, November 15, 2013

My Baby's First Month in SoftBums- Shannon- Week 3


Hello again! I’m going on a month and a half of cloth diapering! 

 
I succeeded with a three day weekend of cloth diapering at Grandma and Grandpa’s and have made it through about 2 weeks with only 2 overnight leaks! Yipee! I have fallen in love with my:
 
 
 
Otis in Moonlight
 
Fingerpaint
 
 and Chocolate mostly because of fit but also how cute they look on Otis’ bum. 

 
I’ve continued to do daily laundry because I’m too scared to take a chance as Otis isn’t really predictable in his habits yet. I almost find it therapeutic to do my laundry every day right now as it helps me maintain a routine. I initially did laundry in the morning but found it took me too long to get them on the line so I started them now in the night and do the second wash cycle in the middle of the night when I get up to feed so in the AM they are ready to go on the line. I have really enjoyed this routine as I feel like I’m stealing more from nature; the dipes are completely dry at the end of the day on the line and only need a little fluff ;) I have been using Tide Free and Gentle and it seems to do a good job. I don’t get any stink and I’ve been getting great absorbency in the pods.
 

Parts of CDing I find annoying are;
  • Lugging around my clean and dirty diapers when in town, on the road etc (pic)
  • The challenge of teaching family to apply correctly when most often I am the one dealing with their poor application, leaks and full changes.
  • When I do something wrong and have to change my lil guy

Parts of CDing I LOVE;
  • Feeling happy when I put on diapers heck they do the job, they are cute and they are cheaper!
  • Enjoying the choices of prints, colors and how they go with outfits
  • Adding up all the money I save everyday when I hang my pods on the line and how the dipes are paying themselves off about 30 cents at a time.
  • Knowing I’m supporting a local MN company
  • Feeling like an expert at something and having my family want MY help to learn.
  • Knowing there aren’t chemicals on my lil guy’s bum


I have fallen in LOVE with the Bamboo SuperPods and want more. I think they are so comfortable looking for Otis and I get the best fit!  I get WAY more uses out of each shell because they cover so much of the shell even some BM’s don’t get on the shell.  Right now I have 6 of them as I bought them with the bamboo super sale so I mainly use them for nighttime diapering 3 in the wash and 3 in use. I put one on after Otis’ last evening feed usually with a Moonlight or my Scribble Omni; then another at his 0130 feeding and again at 0430. I have had such a reduction in leaks since I started this routine with my heavy wetting little man.
 

Things I have learned:

 
  • Your child learns so quickly to put their legs straight when you apply the diaper even at 5 weeks his legs go straight when I am applying the waist.
  • Make sure the Peter points down………….or leaks WILL happen
  • Diaper sprayers are awesome
  • Get a routine for diapering of all the “check points” (legs, waist, and back) then you’ll have more consistency in successful application.
  • Love your diapers and they will love you back
  • Be patient; cloth diapering is more difficult for a little while until you learn how to do it right, then it is much easier I think………..no constantly having to change diapers for size (I’ve heard from some people that different disposables brands are all good at different sizes and weights-how am I supposed to figure all this out?)



I love the fact that I can adjust the inserts quickly, loosen a toggle on the shell and have a good fit in a few minutes and not have to drive 30 min to town just to buy potentially bad diapers!


Continue to follow Shannon & Otis on their journey into cloth diapering each week throughout this series of My Baby's First Month in SoftBums!


Check back next week to see what a day in the life of Otis & Shannon is like.
StumbleUpon
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment