Sunday, February 26, 2012

Mommy Monday #1

I have decided one thing for sure when it comes to Cloth Diapering Moms (dads & families too).  People are PASSIONATE about their diapers, and that is putting it lightly.  As a mom, it is so fun to hear other people's stories and how cloth diapers have been incorporated into their lives.  

So, I have decided to try to feature a Family who uses SoftBums every Monday.  Lets call them "Mommy Mondays".  Now, just because they will be called Mommy Mondays does not mean that Daddy Mondays won't exist as well.  I would JUMP at the chance to post a story from a Cloth Diapering Daddy!  So if you have one, please submit (see below).

Mommy Monday #1.  
Meet April and her sweet little girl-

I'm not really sure what initially lead me to cloth diapers. We try to live a pretty sustainable life so maybe it was the idea of filling a landfill with who knows how many disposables over my child's time in diapers. I really started researching cloth during my pregnancy. My mom and my husband's mom thought I was crazy. I knew I was going to have to find an option as close to disposable as possible to convince them. You should have seen the look on both of their faces when I showed them modern cloth diapers. They both used cloth but they were picturing flats, pins and plastic pants. I found all of the options for cloth completely overwhelming. 

A friend mentioned her sister uses cloth diapers on her kids and LOVES it. Even though I pretty much settled on the type of diaper I was going to use, I wanted to get an opinion from someone actually using them. She gave some pros and cons regarding the brands I'd selected. Then she told me about SoftBums. She preferred them because of the strong velcro that really stood up to long term use. I looked up the SoftBums website and checked out some videos and figured I needed to sample one. When the one I ordered came in the mail, I was impressed. I'd ordered a sample diaper from FuzziBunz and BumGenius and I could immediately tell the quality of the SoftBums diaper was superior. When I showed them to my husband, he picked the SoftBums diaper over all three. 

We were able to start Hailey in her SoftBums at two weeks once her cord stump fell off and we haven't turned back since! Okay there was a little hiccup in the beginning. I only ordered about five covers and maybe ten pods. We quickly realized we were going to need a lot more than that because every single diaper change she would poop and it soiled the cover. That's when I learned about DiaperSwappers.com. I was able to purchase additional covers and bamboo pods at a discounted price because they were gently used. I guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell today looking at my stash which ones were used and which ones were purchased new. 

We now have a stash of about twenty covers and twenty to thirty pods. I honestly thought I would use disposable diapers more. I thought for certain I'd want to use them on short outings or even on trips but I love my SoftBums too much to use anything else. We have traveled twice with our SoftBums and were able to use them our entire trip. We use Planet Wise hanging wet/dry bags and we store the covers and pods in the dry pocket and the dirties in the wet pocket. We even use cloth wipes while we're out because they are so easy.


Thank you so much April for telling your story, and we are so happy your SoftBums are working well for you!  You have a precious little girl and you sound like a wonderful Mommy!

Keep up the great work!

If you have a story you would like to tell, please email me softbumsguru@gmail.com.  Please include pictures if you have any and a story about your life and cloth diapers!

StumbleUpon
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment